GAIL (India) Limited is the largest gas transmission and distribution company in India. Facing challenges such as aging infastructure and unstable pipeline controls near their New Dehli distribution pipeline, GAIL found it difficult to meet the increasing demand for natural gas in the area. To address these issues, GAIL undertook an aggressive plan to upgrade the pipeline network with an advanced remote monitoring and control system. This remote monitoring system would reduce operating costs by allowing technicians to monitor the aging infastructure without on-site visits, allowing the company to provide a higher quality of service while reducing engineering expenses, on-site visits and travel time. The development of this solution required a simple wireless communications device that would transmit monitoring data from the field controllers to the operations center.
The project requirements included:
● Transfer data from pipe flow controllers to a SCADA system with high-speed HSPA+ cellular
● IPsec VPN, RS-232 and RS485 serial to provide a secure remote serial connection for a variety of flow controllers
● Longevity with EMC level III and resistance to India's warm, humid climate
● Compact design for control panels
● Reliable connection: the IG601 provides stable data transmission over the 3G HSPA+ network.
● Reduce costs: remote monitoring of flow controllers greatly reduces operating cost and on-site visits.
● Increase reliability: detect abnormal conditions with real-time data and live faulty indication.